Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Aurora Theater Shooting -- one year later

There are going to be a lot of people weighing in on the shooting by James Holmes one year ago. Here's my take on it. I think that people have a need to come together on anniversaries like this to remember those who were lost. I also think that people have a need to commemorate those who helped the survivors. These are good things, but they don't always need to be huge events that draw protesters as this one has done.

I do NOT believe it is appropriate to have a pro-gun protest close to where 19 people were killed by someone who is taking an insanity defense at his trial for the crime. I agree that the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution allows us to own guns, but I don't see a lot of "well-regulated militias" around these days because the duties those militias used to serve have been taken over by our policing forces and organizations like the National Guard. I also agree that it is their 1st Amendment right to be there is absolute.

There is a difference in my mind between appropriate and inappropriate timing and location of protests of ANY form. I know that there are people who would disagree with me about WHAT is inappropriate, and that is their right as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment